Connect with us

Breaking News

15

Chicago Police Believe That Jussie Smollett May Have Been “Active Participant” In His Own Attack

Photo Credit: JPI Studios

Saturday has brought with it some major twists and developments into the alleged assault on Empire star, Jussie Smollett (Jamal Lyon) through multiple reports.  Two law enforcement sources with knowledge of the on-going investigation told CNN that Chicago Police believe actor Jussie Smollet paid two men to orchestrate an assault on him.

The men in question, who are brothers, Olabinjo and Abimbola Osundairo, were originally arrested on Wednesday, but released without charges Friday after Chicago police cited: “Due to new evidence as a result of today’s interrogations, the individuals questioned by police in the Empire case have now been released without charging and detectives have additional investigative work to complete.”  Reports also say that the two men are fully cooperating with law enforcement.

Of note is: that the brothers are of Nigerian descent and teach online body building classes. The Chicago Tribune reports that Smollett follows the brothers’ workout page on Instagram.   One brother reportedly appeared in an episode of Empire, but was not credited it for it.

Smollett’s attack happened in the early hours of January 29th on the streets of Chicago, when Smollett told authorities that two men were “yelling out racial and homophobic slurs.”  He also noted that one of the attackers put a rope around his neck and poured an unknown chemical substance on him.

The sources told CNN there are records that show the two brothers purchased the rope found around Smollett’s neck at an Ace Hardware store in Chicago.

“The new direction of the investigation is now based on the premise that Mr. Smollett was an active participant in the incident,” a law enforcement source close to the situation told Deadline.

In a statement from Chicago PD late Saturday: “We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation. We’ve reached out to the ‘Empire’ cast member’s attorney to request a follow-up interview.”

In an update to this story: Jussie’s lawyers said in statement over the weekend that one of the brothers taken in to custody was Smollett’s personal trainer, and the actor finds it “impossible to believe that this person could have played a role in the crime against Jussie or would falsely claim Jussie’s complicity.”

So, what do you believe at this juncture?  Do you think Smollett would stage a hate crime on himself? Could the police just not have found the true culprits? Share your theories on this developing story.

Leave a comment | 15 Comments
Advertisement

15

avatar
11 Comment threads
4 Thread replies
13 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
12 Comment authors
TimmmShayariaMomoCelia Recent comment authors
newest oldest
su000
Guest
su000

It is both Stupid and Sad– If true, but surely looks as is true, his career is ruined and that is a shame. No doubt that he was motivated to create this mess and as to why that will come out later but- it was a stupid move, much like a lot of the soap opera stories are stupid but they are make-believe, his stunt is not.. (( wondering how Empire will write him out? by death, I’d imagine… hmmmm imagine; how he is feeling now. he must be totally devastated and in dire straights.. it will be a horrible… Read more »

Mark Edward Wilows
Guest
Mark Edward Wilows

Very sad. What is the motive behind it?

Tony
Guest
Tony

I knew there was something fishy, about this fake attack. The Robin Roberts interview, gave it away. He was nervous and no eye contact with Robin. He needs to pay the price for lying. Send him to Jail.

Charday
Guest
Charday

If this is true, a vile act on Smollet’s part. More important, how unfair to real victims of homophobia, racism, and political attacks.

jaybird369
Guest
jaybird369

I-F Jussie Smollett did stage the entire attack on himself…then he needs to be brought up on charges…and then be sent to jail and/or prison.

End of story.

Mary SFIM
Guest
Mary SFIM

It is getting harder to tell the difference between truth from fiction nowadays–if these guys were the attackers, he can easily just say they are trying to “frame” him and it would be plausible since they attacked him– but it is just as plausible he did hired them because there were issues with his story from the start. Either way we are living in very sad times– sigh

Timmm
Guest
Timmm

BINGO, I called it from day one! He is an actor and a bad one at that! Once he faced Robin Roberts it was over! I’m surprised she and ABC fell for this hoax! And would did he gain? NOTHING! His career is over and I’m sure its someone elses fault and not his! This should NOT turn into a political pissing contest! ALL people of color and people who are gay should turn on this “Man!” Plus, the time wasted on this investigation. Celebrities who rushed to his side, I hope you learned a lesson! He didnt!

Shay
Guest
Shay

Amen, Timmmbo! I actually waited for this obviously phony farce to play out before commenting, although it was such a fantastically far-fetched account from the very start that anyone with an ounce of common sense could literally “smellitt” for the theatrical hoax it was. It would have been quite one thing to credibly claim an attack based upon a singular, specific aspect of this person’s known background, since sadly, these things do happen in reality. However, to concoct this terrible trifecta of a bashing covering the combined notions of race, sexual orientation a, of course, criminals who were of another… Read more »

Timmm
Guest
Timmm

Shay, I never even knew who this was before his claims. Now I know the name and face and he is not a victim, he is a criminal!

Shay
Guest
Shay

@Timmm….Now everyone knows the name of this self-promoting, prevaricating punk, and none of it’s for good reason! (Apparently, lying to law enforcement is nothing new for this person….previous fraudulent information has been supplied to police concerning past criminal conduct.) I hope the very Small-ett enjoys all of his newfound notoriety whilst his sorry butt is sitting in the slammer…he deserves nothing less than a nice, hefty jail sentence for his hate-filled. antics.

Timmm
Guest
Timmm

Cheers sister!

Barbara
Guest
Barbara

I would hope that this comes out to be false but if true he needs to be brought to term but also needs help. Things like this are also a cry for help for individuals that are in crisis. I hope things get resolved quickly for all’s sake. A very sad thing.

Celia
Guest
Celia

Pathetic. He should be prosecuted ….. this guy did a disservice to those who are truly victims of a hate crimes. It’s like crying rape that didn’t happen……ruins the credibility of so many women and men who have been violated. I saw an interview with this guy before he concocted this fake “crime”….He went on and on about his hate for President Trump. His hate for the Prez compelled him to go to this extreme …..the media was all over it; spewing its fake news…. including politicians and Big Mouth Maxine, accusing Trump and going back to her litany of,… Read more »

Momo
Guest
Momo

If he did plan this (and it looks that way), I hope that he is prosecuted. He wasted a lot of police time and energy investigating a hoax.

aria
Guest
aria

what people will do for attention, how sad.

Breaking News

OLTL Alum Arlene Dahl Dead At 96, Son Lorenzo Lamas Shares: “She Was The Most Positive Influence In My Life”

Another loss for the soap world and its extended family.  Arlene Dahl, who had a notable career in film and television, and who appeared on both One Life to Live and All My Children, has passed away at the age of 96.

Her son, former Falcon Crest and The Bold and the Beautiful star, Lorenzo Lamas (Ex-Lance and Ex-Hector, respectively), shared the news via his Facebook page: “Mom passed away this morning in New York. She was the most positive influence on my life. I will remember her laughter, her joy, her dignity as she navigated the challenges that she faced. Never an ill word about anyone crossed her lips. Her ability to forgive left me speechless at times. She truly was a force of nature and as we got closer in my adult life, I leaned on her more and more as my life counselor and the person I knew that lived and loved to the fullest. My sympathies go to her loving husband @marcrosennyc who, for the last 37 years, made her life so wonderful and joyous. Love you mom forever ♥️ #ArleneDahl #Moviestar #legend #mom #RIP”

Photo: JPI

Dahl came on to One life to Live as Lucinda Schenk Wilson, the selfish and manipulative mother of Mimi King played by Kristin Meadows.  Arlene made appearances on the ABC soap starting in 1981 and eventually was offered a one-year contract that took her through till 1984. A decade later, Dahl came on to play Lady Lucille on All My Children for a short time.

Photo: YouTube

On One Life to Live, Arlene mixed it up with Phillip Carey’s Asa Buchanan and Jeremy Slate’s Chuck Wilson.  Dahl is also well-known as one of the regular panelists on the game show, What’s My Line?

While still working in TV and films, Arlene branched out into beauty and cosmetics, eventually becoming an executive and beauty columnist.

Throughout her life, Arlene was married six times.  She had been married to Marc Rosen since 1984 and they remained together till her death.  She is survived by her son Lorenzo, two other children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.

Watch Arlene with Phillip Carey in scenes from OLTL below.

Then share your condolences to Arlene’s family, and share your remembrances, via the comment section.

Continue Reading

As The World Turns

As the World Turns and Guiding Light Favorite, Lisa Brown, Passes Away at 67

(UPDATED) In just more heartbreaking news in the soap world in 2021, we have lost another beloved performer.  Lisa Brown, who was so noteworthy for her spunky and emotional turns as Guiding Light’s Nola Reardon from 1980-1985, and later as Iva Snyder on As the World Turns from 1986-1994, has died.

Brown passed away this week on November 24th at the age of 67 following a brief illness.  The news came via the As the World Turns Facebook Fan Group and Soap Opera Digest.

This comes just two months later following the death of her former on-screen love interest Michael Tylo (Ex-Quinton, Guiding Light), who passed away in late September.

Those that followed Lisa’s career know she also starred in the Broadway Musical 42nd Street, while still playing Nola each and every day on Guiding Light.

She is survived by her children: James “Buddy” Nielsen, and daughter Victoria from her first husband Tom Nielsen (Ex-Floyd, GL) in addition to her two grandchildren, Penelope Ruiz-Nielsen and Brayden Hopf, and her second husband Brian Neary.

 

Photo: JPI

Brown’s on-screen ATWT daughter, Martha Byrne  (Ex-Lily) simply tweeted, “My heart is broken.”

On Friday, Lisa’s son, Buddy Nielsen, posted a touching tribute to his mother, where he revealed that she passed away due to cancer.

Buddy shared: “My Mom passed away the day before Thanksgiving after a very quick battle with cancer. This all happened really fast and wasn’t expecting it. I’ve been MIA as I’ve been back and forth between LA and NJ as she has been in and out of the hospital the last couple weeks. This dream we live, we are all subject to the suffering, aging and death. It’s not to be morose but to understand that we have finite time and must take care with what we do and how we do it. To be able to be with someone at their last breath is truly beautiful. We must not fear death as without it we would never be born and experience the 10,000 joys and 10,000 sorrows. Our existence is both small and vast all at the same time. We are tiny but immense. I know she is here but no longer in her physical form, what we do in love we leave in death. My beautiful daughter and unborn son are her legacy.”

Share your condolences to Lisa’s family, and let us know of your remembrances of this wonderful actress who gave us so many memorable moments throughout her career via the comment section below. But first, watch Lisa in some of her classic scenes from ATWT and GL.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Buddy Nielsen (@budthechud)

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Steve Burton Confirms His Exit From General Hospital

Steve Burton has spoken and after so much speculation, the two-time Daytime Emmy-winning star has confirmed he is out as General Hospital’s Jason Morgan.

In his post on his Instagram account on Tuesday, Steve shared that he was let go by the ABC daytime drama series due to their vaccine mandate and that even though he applied for medical and religious exemptions those were denied.  Thus, he has to exit his role.

In story, viewers saw on Monday, that Jason is MIA from being under the rubble of the cave that collapsed in Jason’s attempt to apprehend Peter August (Wes Ramsey).

In his post, Burton shared the following: “I know there has been a lot of rumors and speculations about me and General Hospital and I wanted you to hear it from me, personally. Unfortunately, General Hospital has let me go because of the vaccine mandate. I did apply for my medical and religious exemptions and both of those were denied, which, you know, hurts, but, this is also about personal freedom to me. I don’t think anyone should lose their livelihood over this. But with that being said, you know me. I’ll always be grateful for my time at General Hospital I love it there. I grew up there. I grew up with some of you, so I will always be grateful and I believe when one door closes multiple doors open. That’s always been my perspective, so I am excited to see what the future brings. ”

Steve went on to say, “Maybe one day when these mandates are lifted, I can return and finish my career as Jason Morgan. That would be an honor, and if not, I am going to take this amazing experience, move forward and be forever grateful. I have got to say, that I am forever grateful for your love and your support over the years. It means so much to me. Thank you. I don’t know when my last airdate is. It may have aired or it might be tomorrow or the next day. I am not sure. I want you guys to have an awesome Thanksgiving. I know it is hard, maybe, in this type of situation to be thankful or grateful, but we have so many things to be thankful about. Being grateful really is the key. Love you guys.”

The popular actor began his run as GH’s Jason Quartermaine back in 1991. Later in 1995, after a car accident he had a major personality shift and became Jason Morgan. Burton went to Y&R to play Dylan McAvoy for a four-year stint from 2013-2017, before heading back to his home at GH.

A source close to the show told Deadline that Burton’s last tape date was October 27th.

You can watch Steve’s video announcement below on his GH departure.

So, how do you feel about Steve being let go from GH? Do you hope Steve can return at some point? Share your thoughts via the comment section below,

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Steve Burton (@1steveburton)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Video du Jour

DAYS head writer, Ron Carlivati talks with Michael Fairman on the creation and the making of the limited-series “Days of our Lives: Beyond Salem” currently streaming on Peacock. Leave A Comment

The Michael Channel

Recent Comments

Advertisement

Power Performance

Ted King as Jack

The Bold and the Beautiful

Airdates:11-16/17-2021

Advertisement

Popular